Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Vida en Quepos

Me encanta mi familia Tica mucho.  (I love my Costa Rican family a lot!)

Today is my second day of classes and I love learning Spanish in an immersion context.  It is like solving a riddle every moment.  I love the critical thinking and creativity it takes to try to communicate something with the few words that <i do know.  When I don´t know how to say one thing, I have to use about three times the ammount of time to talk around what I mean and do a whole charades show.  Mostly I get the point across and everyone is very patient - especially my host mom and my professora. 

Tengo mucho exito (I feel proud) for being here, in Costa Rica, on my own.  I made it despite all of my fears of getting lost or confused or not making it to school at all.  Now, I don´t even feel alone.  I have a housemate from Canada and she is so nice to me (only speaking to me in Spanish) even though I make so many mistakes and it would be easier to Speak English.  She has helped me out so much - teaching me how to ride the bus and how to get to class and reminding me of all of the family members names. 

I went with her and my host mom to Zumba last night.  Zumba was in a resteraunt in the midle of the jungle where the chairs had been cleared aside to make dancing room.  It was so hillarious to be doing it there.  I just kept laughing to myself thinking "Ï´m really here.... doing zumba in the jungle!"

There is only one other student at my school right now, but that is ok.  I like that we get so much attention and conversation with the staff!  The other school in town is way busier (that is where my housemate goes).  I guess there must be a reason <i am at this school instead, even though at first I was a little sad not to have a group to hang out with.  Hay es no problema, esta bien.

My spanish is already so much better!  Actually, this is the first time since yesterday that my internal voice has spoken English.  Even though I often don´t make sense to myself, I hear spanish as my internal voice!!! It´´s hard to explain but it is really crazy!

Ok, necesito ir al clase hoy. 

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Tengo mucho exito tambien,
    e estoy orgulloso de ustedes tambien.
    Amor,
    Diddy

    ReplyDelete